Dream up a video game...then make it a reality!
Think you've got what it takes to create the next Flappy Bird or Space Invaders? During this six-week program for middle school students, participants will learn the basics of Scratch programming, explore the building blocks that make up their favorite games, and try their hand at designing a game for friends to enjoy. Our Game Design program is a great introduction to the world of computer science, and requires no prior experience in computer science.
During this course, students will...
- Use Scratch block programming to solve problems, animate sprites, and more!
- Learn about basic programming logic, including loops, if-then statements, variables, and user-computer interaction.
- Design and program a simple game.
- Work with a trained and dedicated staff of 3-5 Vanderbilt student volunteers.
More Programs Like This
- Program format: Weekly one-hour sessions for six (6) consecutive weeks
- Student pre-requisites: None
- Class capacity: 30 or fewer students
- Program cost: Free!
- Location: Your school or program site
- Requirements: School or site must be able to provide a computer or laptop device for each participating student, internet access, a classroom space with projector, and a supervising teacher.
“Thank you for this fun opportunity!”
"Thank you very much for teaching us coding. I enjoyed making my small skit. My favorite part of this course had to be having my characters interact with one another. Customizing the characters to have different appearances was also enjoyable."
— J.G, 2016 Participant (KIPP Academy)
We'd love to work with your students!
Our services are completely free - start planning your Code Ignite program today!