The perfect introduction to code for students in grades 5-8.
Animation is everywhere, from the latest blockbuster Pixar film to your favorite anime series. During this six-week program for middle school students, participants will learn the basics of Scratch programming, practice controlling "sprites" (characters) through the power of code, and create their own animated shorts. Our Animation program is a great introduction to the world of computer science, and requires no prior experience in computer science.
During this course, students will...
- Use Scratch block programming to solve problems, animate sprites, and more!
- Learn about basic programming logic, including loops, if-then statements, variables, and parallelism.
- Plan and create an animated skit about anything they wish.
- Work with a trained and dedicated staff of 3-5 Vanderbilt student volunteers.
More Programs Like This
- Program format: Weekly one-hour sessions for six (6) consecutive weeks
- Student pre-requisites: None
- Class capacity: 30 or fewer students
- Program cost: Free!
- Location: Your school or program site
- Requirements: School or site must be able to provide a computer or laptop device for each participating student, internet access, a classroom space with projector, and a supervising teacher.
“Thank you for this fun opportunity!”
"Thank you very much for teaching us coding. I enjoyed making my small skit. My favorite part of this course had to be having my characters interact with one another. Customizing the characters to have different appearances was also enjoyable."
— J.G, 2016 Participant (KIPP Academy)
We'd love to work with your students!
Our services are completely free - start planning your Code Ignite program today!